[geeks] Windows 7 Workstation recommendations

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 07:39:04 CDT 2011

Have you considered BYOB?

I realize you aren't in US, but the specs you outline are actually quite
modest by US new machine standards.

Pre-configured systems will likely save money because of the bundled OS, but
you'll likely not find a lower-priced system with a higher-end discrete video
card, nor are you likely to find a lower-priced pre-built system with an
adequate PS for higher-end graphics.

A Build your own box would allow you to work around those likely limitations,
IMHO, but it may not be cheapest.

FWIW, a low-end SandyBridge I3 system is very capable, if your processing
needs are minimal, the real compromise with an i3 system is the integrated
graphics and lack of 'TurboBoost', but with your plans for a higher-end
graphics card and your mentioned uses, I personally don't see those as
limitations.

My main workstation for the last few months has been an i3-2100 desktop with a
'free' MB that came bundled with the CPU and 8 gigs of RAM (the CPU/MB combo
was $100, RAM another $40) with a 7200 RPM HD, optical drive and case/PS for
another $125 or so. Very adequate for general office use, with minimal
graphics demands. I have a TechNet subscription that gives me Win7 x64
Enterprise and Office 2010 licenses for personal use, so I don't have to
factor in O/S costs (already owned them).

Of course, these are US prices, based on generally available 'deals' at US
retailers.

Lionel

On Sep 7, 2011, at 2:39 AM, Mark Benson <md.benson at gmail.com> wrote:

> Poking around to see if anyone has any recommendations for a Windows 7
Workstation for web development, graphics work and the like.