[geeks] Solaris 10 GPS NTP help?

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Tue Sep 6 09:30:10 CDT 2011

On 09/06/2011 10:07 AM, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> On 09/06/2011 09:50 AM, Jonathan J. M. Katz wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 9:47 AM, Phil Stracchino <alaric at metrocast.net> wrote:
>>> I'm trying to set up a Pharos GPS receiver (USB ID 067b:aaa0) as a
>>> stratum0 time source for Solaris 10u9 amd64.  babylon4 sees the device,
>>>
>>> Can anyone tell me what I need to do to correctly create /dev/gps0?
>>
>> What does cfgadm -v -l show you about the device?
>
> Not a whole heck of a lot.  This seems to be the applicable entry:
>
> usb0/2                         connected    configured   ok         Mfg:
> Prolific Technology Inc.   Product: USB-Serial Controller D  NConfigs: 1
>  Config: 0  <no cfg str descr>
>
> This is what the device itself looks like:
>
> babylon4:root:~:16 # ls -l /devices/pci at 0,0/pci10f1,5350 at 1d
> total 6
> drwxr-xr-x 2 root sys      2 Sep  6 09:27 device at 2/
> crw------- 1 root root 75, 2 Sep  6 09:27 device at 2:67b.aaa0.cntrl0
> crw------- 1 root root 75, 3 Sep  6 09:27 device at 2:67b.aaa0.cntrl0stat
> crw------- 1 root root 75, 1 Sep  6 09:27 device at 2:67b.aaa0.devstat
> crw------- 1 root root 75, 4 Sep  6 09:27 device at 2:67b.aaa0.if0in1
> crw------- 1 root root 75, 5 Sep  6 09:27 device at 2:67b.aaa0.if0in1stat
> crw------- 1 root root 75, 8 Sep  6 09:27 device at 2:67b.aaa0.if0in3
> crw------- 1 root root 75, 9 Sep  6 09:27 device at 2:67b.aaa0.if0in3stat
> crw------- 1 root root 75, 6 Sep  6 09:27 device at 2:67b.aaa0.if0out2
> crw------- 1 root root 75, 7 Sep  6 09:27 device at 2:67b.aaa0.if0out2stat
> crw------- 1 root sys  75, 0 Sep  6 09:33 device at 2:usb_mid

I guess this is actually the USB-serial bridge to the GPS, and Solaris
can't really see the GPS behind it.  Linux does somewhat better,
recognizing the device as a Pharos, but I'd really sooner have my
stratum0 on my NTP server, not on one of its clients.

Of course, I suppose I could always set up the GPS on my workstation,
which would make the workstation's ntpd stratum1, and babylon4's (aka
ntp.babcom.com) stratum2...

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.