[geeks] Introductory programming language?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 14:21:33 CDT 2011

I have supported my family as a mainframe programmer analyst for a number of
years.

I *like* COBOL.

I find it straight-forward and obvious.

COBOL, SQL, or IMS/DB each made orders of magnitude more revenue per quarter
than Mr. Wirth's follies combined have ever generated since they were first
developed...

Still waiting for the mainframe to 'die' - it's been predicted since the
mid-eighties, AFAIK...

Lionel

On Sep 1, 2011, at 12:41 PM, "Vintage Coder" <vintagecoder at aol.com> wrote:

> It's all well and good all the COBOL bashing but there's a difference
between coding as a professor and actually getting work done that people are
willing to pay for. COBOL and SQL (and IMS DB) have made orders of magnitude
more money and careers than any of Wirth's fantasies.