[geeks] Super/ultra capacitors for energy storage

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Tue Oct 25 16:29:59 CDT 2011

On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 08:34:56 +0200
Jonathan Groll <lists at groll.co.za> wrote:

> How many years does this list think it'll be before we get the
> technology and economy of scale to make it viable to use capacitors
> for energy storage?
Many years, if it happens at all.
Keep in mind that battery technology is evolving very fast too. Think
of all the LiIon battery technology developed in the last 10..15 years
along with "supercaps".

"Supercaps" can't store as much energy as batteries per volume /
weight. But they are easier to charge and withstand more charge /
discharge cycles. Both technologies have there speciffic use and
complement one another. E.g. in electric cars. Energy is drwan from
batteries to accelerate. Energy from braking is stored in supercaps
(recuperation) and reused at next acceleration.
--

\end{Jochen}

\ref{http://www.unixag-kl.fh-kl.de/~jkunz/}