[geeks] Battery-powered, WiFi connected file server

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 10:55:44 CDT 2011

<lionel4287 at gmail.com>wrote:

>> I'm not sure how long this has been around, but this seems like a neat
idea

> Pogoplug has been doing something similar for some time, a bit more modular
> in the sense you can hook up any storage to it:
>
> http://www.pogoplug.com/products.html

The device I linked to is a battery-powered hot spot with 500 Gig of local
storage - it works independent of any Internet infrastructure, pogoplugs
typically require Internet infrastructure to access them.

The example I like is taking two iOS devices on a long car trip and each
device can select whatever media file it would like to stream from a 500 Gig
library. To accomplish the same with a pogoplug each iOS device would need a
suitable Internet connection to reach your pogoplug at home.

The Seagate device would work, say, at a camp site with no connectivity...

The other day a vet came to my house and when she was done she pulled out a
netbook, a MyFi cellular hotspot, and a wireless printer and proceeded to
update my pets records and print out an invoice without tapping into my
Internet connection or power. A trivial showcase of technology that has been
around for a couple years, for sure, but until the other day I'd never seen it
done.