[geeks] Better quality microphones for computer use

mail at catsnest.co.uk mail at catsnest.co.uk
Thu Jun 30 06:36:40 CDT 2011

On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 10:12 AM, Jonathan Groll <lists at groll.co.za> wrote:
> I'm looking to buy a better microphone for general voice recording at
> home, especially since the el-cheap-o headset type microphones are
> prone to hum, buzz and picking up computer fans. The primary use case
> would be google chat, but it's not impossible that it will get used
> eventually for annotating screen-casts.
>
> So, I'm looking for something with a cardioid directionality and don't
> care if it's dynamic or condenser, and it will always be used with the
> computer. Also, hopefully NOT a headset, but with a little stand,
> however if there are compelling reasons why it should be a headset
> please explain.
>
> I've heard good things about the Shure SM58-X2U Cardioid Dynamic
> Microphone($187 from Amazon with a X2U XLR-to-USB Signal Adapter) ,
> but it is a little outside my price range and may be overkill for
> simple google chat.
>
> Other alternatives I'm thinking about:
> - Behringer C-1U USB (condenser), full podcasting kit with stand and
> USB device for approx. $99 on ePay.

I have not tried that Mic but i have a few other bits of Behringer
kit, good cost / quality ratio.
as others have said and you too, most of the "kack" comes from the
internal sound cards... a cheep'sh USB sound card from ePay and a
"standard" mic would probably make a huge difference.

I did get a few Sun Mic's from ePay a while back (the unamped ones
were nicer) they are really good quality =)

--
Ritchie