[geeks] Better quality microphones for computer use

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Thu Jun 30 04:43:22 CDT 2011

On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 11:12:18AM +0200, Jonathan Groll wrote:
>I'm looking to buy a better microphone for general voice recording at
>home, especially since the el-cheap-o headset type microphones are
>prone to hum, buzz and picking up computer fans. The primary use case
>would be google chat, but it's not impossible that it will get used
>eventually for annotating screen-casts.

USB microphone inputs, I call them USB sound cards, you can call them what
you want :-) go for as little as $3 on eBay.

Personally I would use a ham radio microphone for this because that's what
it's designed for. My personal favorite is the Astatic 10-DA, which I like
because my voice is very low and it gives a pleasant sounding result.

Most people prefer the Astatic D-104, which is the ubiquitous lollypop mike.
There are lots of knock-offs and copies, but a decent used D-104 should go
for no more than $30 and you can find them wolrdwide if you ask a local
ham.

Be warned that the D-104 comes in many models and the more recent ones
have amplifiers in them. The amplifer adds two pit falls, one it requires
a 9 volt battery, and the other worse one is that it has a gain control.

The proper way to use it is to set the gain control at minimum and slowly
raise it until you get reasonable sound, the more common way is to set it
at maximum because it gives you a "stronger signal". It does not, it just
distorts your voice.

Be sure to get one with a lock on the stand so that you don't have to
keep holding push (or squeeze) to talk down.

For that matter, almost any ham/cb microphone will do, and you can get
a handheld one hang it from a clamp on desk stand and hold the push to
talk switch down with a rubber band (or disconnect it completely).
Some microphones, the push to talk mutes the microphone when it is "up",
others don't so you may not even have to do that.

BTW, if you were using Windows I'd suggest a Logitech QuickCall USB
conference microphone and loudspeaker, which they discontinued several years
ago, but can still be found. I bought several of them when my local Office
Depot had them on closeout for $20 each.

Unfortunately they never had drivers for anything except Windows. :-(

Personally I use a EveryMan USB headset I bought from the Skype store. It was
relatively cheap, is comfortable (most headsets are not for me), and
works well.

I found that if you coil the cord up to tightly when you put it away, the
cable will break at where it enters the headset, so don't.

I like it for chat so that I can sit at my computer and still do things
with my hands and mouse.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
Making your enemy reliant on software you support is the best revenge.