[geeks] NTP on Windows

Sheldon T. Hall shel at artell.net
Tue Jun 21 10:04:39 CDT 2011

Quoth gsm at mendelson.com ...

> On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 08:18:06AM -0400, Nick B wrote:
> >Windows XP has ntp built in.  Are these networked with any
> remote agents?
>
> No it does not. At least not in the sense that anyone who
> uses NTP would think it does. Once a week it checks your
> clock against a server and updates it.

You can change that behavior and have Windows Time check its server as often
as you like.  I believe it's one entry in the Registry, and thus could be
changed from an easily-distributable ".reg" file.

It still only checks one server, however, and still steps the clock rather
than slewing it, but it does increase the clock's accuracy enough for some
purposes.

-Shel