[geeks] new HAM on the net

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Thu Jun 9 11:57:36 CDT 2011

On Thu, Jun 09, 2011 at 09:13:15AM -0500, Michael Parson wrote:
>I'll keep an eye out on there once I get a better idea of what kind of
>rig I want to set up.

The best way to do that is to go on the local repeater(s) and make friends.

Tell them you are a new ham and need elmering about buying a rig and setting
up a station. Elmer is the ham term for mentor (I assume from someone's name).

Not only will you get lots of advice, you will get offers to come over and
see (and possibly operate) stations, info on clubs to join and so on.

You might even be offered the loan of a rig.

If you did not have a radio, I would have suggested going to QRZ.com and
putting in your zip code (and ones nearby). You could do it the old fashioned
way, walk or drive around your neighborhood looking for antennas and ham radio
license plates. :-)

When I lived in Philly, I belonged to two clubs that had HF stations. Dues
for each were around $15 a year, which included autopatch privledges.

One had a station at a museum, the other at the local Red Cross headquarters
and encouraged members to come and operate.

Don't forget that you already met three hams, you may want to keep in touch
with them.

73 and good luck.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
Making your enemy reliant on software you support is the best revenge.