[geeks] Nokia is getting the Rick Belluzzo treatment...

Jonathan Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Wed Jun 8 22:07:25 CDT 2011

On Wed, 8 Jun 2011, der Mouse wrote:

> http://ftp.rodents-montreal.org/mouse/misc/screenshot.1280x800.gif

That looks a lot like what I used to run at work before switching to a
Mac[0].  A fellow here at work developed a window manager that's
controlled by the mostly-useless vendor key on the keyboard.  Hold it down
and you can create new terminal windows, rearrange windows, etc.

   http://jonathan.celestrion.net/stuff/nogui.png

One of the nicer features of that window manager is that it supported an
infinite number of "virtual desktops".  Vendor+left-arrow and
Vendor+right-arrow would shift you back and forth along the endless
desktop (with Vendor + [0-9] getting you to a specific position in the
first 10).  He also had the notion of a "special" virtual desktop that
would toggle in place of your current one with Vendor+up-arrow, which I
used as a dashboard of sorts, as well as a place to start programs and end
the session (the red xterm is the one xinit execs to):

   http://jonathan.celestrion.net/stuff/nogui2.png

It's still what I run on BSD and Linux, but I'm pretty comfortable with
the Mac, for the most part.

Tom keeps talking about releasing his window manager on SourceForge, and I
wish he would.  A usable window manager that compiles to less than 32k on
amd64 is a rare thing these days.

[0] It doesn't annoy me, but I grew up with will GUIs.  I still spend most
     of my time in Xquartz, anyway.
--
Jonathan Patschke |
Elgin, TX         | "He who is contented is rich." -- Lao Tzu