[geeks] Nokia is getting the Rick Belluzzo treatment...

Shannon shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Jun 8 00:50:27 CDT 2011

On 02-Jun-2011 12:01, vintagecoder at aol.com wrote:

> I fear the same thing is happening to BlackBerry. There is nothing wrong
> with a really functional product that isn't glamorous.

Not to you and I no, but to a company who realizes they won't sell like
one which is, they feel a lot is wrong with it.

> Apple consumers don't buy devices because of features or technology, they
> buy them because they're Apple.

I buy Apple because of features and technology and because it works very
well.

My main desktop is a Mac. I also have a Windows machine which mostly
plays 2 games I like, and does some utility work.

I spend hours maintaining the Windows machine just to keep it working
well. Each Windows hour is about 5 minutes on the Mac. The majority of
the maintenance I do on the Mac is work related and nothing to do with
the OS.  That's why I buy Apple.

If I put 100 hours of work into a Windows machine, a typical Linux
desktop, and a Mac... the difference in what gets done is amazing.

A good portion of 100 hours on the Windows box will be eaten by its UI
design problems, inability to handle a heavy load, and bugs in just
about everything in it and which runs on it.

NOTE: Windows 7 is what I use now, and I'll give them credit for making
big improvements over previous versions. It's still
design-by-intoxicated-committee and has some just horrid UI weirdness,
and still has issues under load, but it is a lot more usable than what
they had before. Its the first version of Windows that is making me
thing: save money and buy a Windows laptop for on the road, if I can
integrate what I do with my Mac software.

On the Linux machine I'll get more work done if its programming and
certain other kinds of jobs, but now and then I'll burn countless hours
on some bizarre idiocy in the UI design, or trying to find software to
do a simple job that actually work and has good work flow.

On my Mac, the majority of that time will be spent doing actual work,
and in most cases work is the only thing I'll be doing. They are often
essentially zero maintenance for long periods of time.

NOTE2: Apple does do stupid things, none of the above is intended to be
a statement of Mac perfection, they are far from it. Mac is sorta like
UNIX: it sucks, but most other things suck worse.

ALL modern computers I think are just about completely screwed up in
fundamental ways and I keep hoping one day we'll get it straight.

Then again I get paid a lot of money to fix things sometimes... hmm...

> Hell, iPhone couldn't even multitask until about a year
> ago. People are getting lost chasing the wrong rainbows.

Minor nit: it has always been able to multitask, that was just hidden
from the user from a UI point-of-view.

A device like the iPhone could not function without multitasking, it
just wasn't exposed (well) to the user.