[geeks] BSD Questions

Rick Hamell hamellr at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 19:52:48 CST 2011

On 2/14/11 5:30 PM, Jonathan Patschke wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Feb 2011, Mike Meredith wrote:
>
>> How stable is FreeBSD 8 with ZFS[1] likely to be ? Not that I imagine
>> *BSD has grown any less stable over the years, but ZFS is a little new.
>
> First, a brag on my tough little FreeBSD 6.x audio-streaming/podcasting
> box:
> $ uptime
> 7:20PM up 1400 days, 15:45, 1 user, load averages: 0.08, 0.02, 0.01
>
> There are some caveats, but I've found FreeBSD 8.1 with ZFS to be
> perfectly stable. I use it at home, and $ork uses it in production.
>
> The biggest caveat is that the installer does not support installing to
> ZFS; you have to perform the installation manually. It's not difficult,
> but it is a rather horrid first introduction to the operating system. I'd
> hoped to find time to hack ZFS support into the installer, but $ork has
> been eating all my time for the past few months.

This has been my argument about FreeBSD for years. The installer...
sucks. And hasn't gotten any better at all.

--
Rick Hamell

Linkedin Profile - http://www.linkedin.com/pub/6/946/27
Technology Blog - http://www.1nova.com/blog
Pacific Northwest Photo Blog - http://www.1nova.com/photoblog

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of hamellr.vcf]