[geeks] Heads up: HP Microservers

Michael-John Turner mj at mjturner.net
Mon Feb 14 04:32:06 CST 2011

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 09:41:32AM +0000, Mark Benson wrote:
> HP distributors in the UK are selling HP Proliant N36L microservers for around
> 220 GBP +VAT with 100 GBP cashback if you get the form in by Feb 25th. It's a
> bargain for what it is, really and would make an excellent NAS or basic SOHO
> server. AMD Athlon Neo X2 based, 1GB ECC RAM, 1x 250GB disk. No OS license
> with it so run what you like. Really quiet

Thanks for the heads-up - I've been toying with getting one for the last
week or so. One minor correction - the cashback claim only has to be
submitted by 25 March, although the purchase must be invoiced in February
(see [1]).

FYI, with the addition of an HP Remote Access Card, the machine is
manageable remotely (KVM over IP and IPMI), which is rather neat for a
machine of this class. The maintenance guide[2] has more info.

[1] http://h41112.www4.hp.com/promo/proliantmicroserver/pdf/PA0023-%C2%A350_off_Microserver_Offer_FEB_2011.pdf
[2] http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02473845/c02473845.pdf

-mj
--