[geeks] More Wangtek help

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Wed Feb 9 07:50:49 CST 2011

On Wed, Feb 09, 2011 at 08:39:19AM -0500, Tom Manos wrote:

>and it took over 2 hours to get the first file of 37  (~7000 blocks) on the
>tape. It was just seeking back and forth continuously, I'm guessing once per
>block. I figured I might kill the old drive trying to make that tape.

That usually means the computer is NOT fast enough. By the time the drive
is ready to write the next block, there is a very narrow time window
it will accept a new block and not stop. You are missing it.

>So I'll report back after I try Linux.

That should work if you have a fast enough CPU and scsi card.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to misquote it.