[geeks] SunOS SCSI tape drive help?

der Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Mon Feb 7 16:58:44 CST 2011

[top-posting damage repaired manually]

>> [SCSI tape drive ...] a sparc 20 running SunOS 4.1.4.

>> I've got the drive set to SCSI ID 2, [...]

> http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/content/submitted/scsi_tape_drive.jsp

That page is all about Solaris, as distinct from SunOS (ie, what after
the retcon renaming was known as Solaris 2.x and later).  This is about
SunOS 4.1.4, the stuff that got renamed to Solaris 1.x.

Basically, SunOS is pigheaded about what SCSI IDs correspond to what
types of devices.  Unless you build a custom-configured kernel, SCSI
IDs 0, 1, 2, and 3 are disks, 4 and 5 are tapes, and 6 is CDROM (or at
least that's how I remember it; it's been a while).  You have a tape at
ID 2, so it either won't be recognized or will be mis-recognized as a
disk; you appear to be getting the former.

I don't recall how to reconfigure SunOS 4.x kernels any longer.  But,
if you can just move the tape to ID 4 or 5, you probably won't need to.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org