[geeks] Introductory programming language?

J. Alexander Jacocks jjacocks at mac.com
Wed Aug 31 18:39:03 CDT 2011

On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 7:16 PM, Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster at gmail.com> wrote:
> I wouldn't use Java or C++ either.  I'd prefer F# over either of those.
>
> Frankly, I'd prefer S/370 assembler over Java or C++.

After listening to all these suggestions, I wonder why all these
exotic and complex languages are being suggested as good learning
tools.

If it were up to me, I'd suggest Pascal, even given it's age.  It's an
easy to learn and understand language, and there's nothing
fundamentally wrong with the structure that it teaches.

Ease of learning is fundamental here, so as to not turn a new programmer off.

IMO, of course.
- Alex