[geeks] Introductory programming language?

Jonathan J. M. Katz jon at jonworld.com
Wed Aug 31 18:12:24 CDT 2011

On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 7:08 PM, Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster at gmail.com> wrote:
> My vote is still with F#.  A functional language, but the syntax isn't so
> bletcherous.

My cousin is a pretty bitchin' coder[1]. I can barely hack my way out
of a perl script and use perl and expect when I need to; I'm far more
of a sysadmin type and now do more security stuff. A while back I
asked him what he'd suggest to "learn programming." His take was that
we should not use Java, C++ or other OO stuff as a primary tool for
learning, as it's too complex. He said use Python.

I trust the guy's judgement, but I still haven't found time to play with it.

[1] He kicks ass. Seriously.