[geeks] Introductory programming language?

Dr Robert Pasken rpasken at eas.slu.edu
Tue Aug 30 23:33:36 CDT 2011

Anything but python, based on the Science, Technology, Engineering and
Mathematics (STEM) departments experience at my institution. At the
insistence of the CS department we tried to use python as the intro
language for STEM majors. The net result was a lot of very drain bramaged
students who were able to write simple programs before taking the course
and after taking the course refused to do any programming at all. We
switched over to a mixture of MatLab and C for STEM majors and it the
results are dramatic. The MatLab protion of the course gives the students
the fundamentals of programming with nearly instantaneous feedback. They
quickly pickup the basics and are able to solve relatively complex
problems before mid-semester. Two typical problems are determining the
necessary lengths of muffler pipes to silence a car engine via
constructive/destructive interference and a numerical weather prediction
model based on the Barotropic Vorticity equation. Both problems run in the
range of 200 lines of matlab code. After mid-terms they switch over to C
to show the advantages of a compiler versus an interpreter. By the end of
the semester they can solve problems from their major field AND know they
right kind of tool for the job.

We use the open-source version of MatLab called Octave, which works under
all unix flavors, MacOS-X and Windows.

Cheers
RWP