[geeks] hurricane check

Bob rjtoegel at verizon.net
Tue Aug 30 15:51:08 CDT 2011

>None, actually! Due to some oddity of how the lines are pulled to the
houses
>on our street, our next-door neighbor had power. He kindly came over
with an
>extension cord Sunday morning, to which we connected the refrigerator
and cell
>phone chargers.

>--sambo

Nice neighbor.  The only reasons I have a generator is for the
refrigerators, the sump pump and heating system in the winter.  It's only
4300 watts but the one time I did use it, everything was OK.  It's sort
of a simple system.  Throw the main breaker, unplug the kilowatt
amplifier from the 220V outlet, plug in my two plug cable into that
socket, throw the cable out the window, fire up the generator and plug
the house in.  Works without zapping anyone.  It was pretty funny when
the generator was empty on fuel (and cold), my wife filled it with gas
and tried to start it without unplugging the house!  Didn't get too far.
:-D

Bob