[geeks] hurricane check

Bob rjtoegel at verizon.net
Tue Aug 30 09:24:02 CDT 2011

 >On 08/29/11, Shannon<shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:>Everyone OK after
the hurricane?

>Here (Tidewater, VA) we got the worst of the wind, but the storm hit at
low
>tide so flooding was not much worse than a nor'easter.

>I lost power 1100 Saturday and it came back this morning (Monday).

>Lot of damage but being cleaned up fast. I was injured by a car door
flying
>open and hands and arms cut up from clearing debris. Mostly I'm just
tired...
>awake since Friday.

>I heard flooding was severe up north, so I hope you guys are all OK up
there.

Well, we had a heck of a lot of rain in NJ.  Found a bunch of new leaks
in the roof and have some internal damage.  The only time we lost power
was a glitch Saturday night and an hour or so on Sunday which I think
they cut power just to fix some lines.  No trees down in my neighborhood
but I think we benefited from a tornado that came through a few years ago
and "pruned" all of the weak trees.  Then we had no power for a week but
I have a generator we we didn;t suffer too much.  No major outages in
most of the area but about a mile along a nearby highway (Rt 22) stores
still didn't have electricity, even yesterday.  The only store that had
juice was Home Depot because they had their own generator, so they had
minimal lighting, cash registers and the damn background music!  Even the
employees were shaking their heads at that one.  In a richer section of
town that's on a hill (My father used to call it "snob hill" even when we
lived there.) , they had a tree down on every block and no power.  Good
thing the Barclays was over at the local country club, that would have
been a disaster although I think all of the tents are still up.  So
overall, except for isolated places in my town, not much damage.  Of
course the most incorrectly named town in NJ, Bound Brook, flooded,

Bob
--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com