[geeks] [rescue] consciousness immortality [was: Sun Sparcstation 20 hard disks]

Nate Raymond nraymond at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 15:21:55 CDT 2011

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 4:11 PM, Mouse <mouse at rodents-montreal.org> wrote:

> I'm not sure whether I really have an expectation that a consciousness
> will be able to inhabit silicon instead of protoplasm.  I feel
> reasonably sure we can (and will, barring some kind of catastrophic
> collapse) go the intelligence amplification route, improving HCI to the
> point where the distinction between your (generic "your") human mind
> and your silicon assist starts to blur.

IBM is has working silicon that mimics neurons, with funding help from
DARPA:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=inside-ibms-cognitive-chip

Chances are this will end up with military applications before civilian
(though nothing new about that).

More on IBM's research:

http://www.ibm.com/smarterplanet/us/en/business_analytics/article/cognitive_computing.html

- Nate