[geeks] stupid email clients

Shannon shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Aug 5 14:57:18 CDT 2011

On Aug 5, 2011, at 11:37 , Mouse wrote:

>> Rats... today I converted my dovecot server over to maildir so I was
>> actually looking at message text.
>
>> I didn't realize that at some point my messages had reverged to that
>> awful stuff with '=' at the end of the lines.
>
> It's formally called quoted-printable, but it gets called
> quoted-unprintable for a reason. :)
>
> They may or may not have, depending.
>
> One of the proprties of MIME (whether it's a bug or feature is a
> question I see little benefit to going into here) is that content can
> be mechanically converted between representations.  Your mail, as it
> arrived in my mailbox, was marked

> and wasn't all quoted-unprintable, but I don't know how many
> transformations it went through on the way.  One of the commoner
> autoconversting MTAs (sendmail, I think) adds X-MIME-Autoconverted:
> headers when it converts context; I didn't see any, but there are
> plenty of pieces of software which could have autoconverted without
> adding such a marker.

I think its possible Mail.app is OK now, and its Thunderbird giving me fits.
They have removed just about all controls over margins and such, as well as UI
control over things like format flows (or format flawed as I like to call
it).

I have to switch among a lot of machines using a common IMAP server so now and
then I have to revisit configuration, and sometimes I'm using something I set
up on machines I don't control, and I secure-erase the configuration when
done.