[geeks] Mail Servers

Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Fri Aug 5 09:24:06 CDT 2011

> Is there any way to have two mail servers for a domain, with both of
> them equal?  As in, they both receive mail, they sync their mail
> spools with each other, they both have the same users and userids,
> they have the same authentication secrets, and they both provide the
> same IMAP folders and SMTP forwarding?  And is it possible to
> configure an IMAP client to use whichever one it finds available
> first?

Both receiving mail equally can be done by using two MX records with
equal preferences, or by using one MX name but giving that name two
addresses.

Syncing mail spools, users, etc is a private matter between them.  I
don't know of anything for that, but I've never gone looking, either.

As for clients, if you use a single name and give it multiple addresses
in the DNS, clients _should_ loadshare between them "randomly" -
clients are supposed to use addresses in the order presented by the
DNS, and the DNS is supposed to randomize the order of the addresses.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org