[geeks] tis the season for hardware to fail...

J. Alexander Jacocks jjacocks at mac.com
Tue Apr 12 11:57:37 CDT 2011

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 12:38 PM, Joshua Boyd <jdboyd at jdboyd.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 12:13:51PM -0400, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>> I work in a public school district and we recently did a forklift
>> upgrade to a couple Mac labs in an elementary school, and we pulled
>> sunflower iMacs for Mac minis, but we opted to save *hundreds* per
>> workstation and used Dell flat panels w/ Apple keyboards & mice.
>>
>> One of the Computer Teachers actually complained about the Dells that
>> replaced her beloved Macs... She didn't even look beyond the monitor,
>> she saw the Dell logo and *freaked*...
>>
>> We got a good laugh at that, she still doesn't understand why we
>> bought Dell displays...
>
> Apple displays are certainly exspenive.  Doesn't Samsung or HP give
> school/volume discounts as well though?

I still have yet to see a manufacturer who regularly sells non-TN
panel displays at the low prices that Dell does.  They continue to
make a large number of quality panels at _very_ reasonable prices.
And, given their on-site support, I've been a buyer of Dell displays
for Apple hardware, for years, now.

Samsung makes quality panels, but they _really_ sell them dearly.  HP
is very hit-or-miss.  For instance, I had a 2004 20" HP 1600x1200 LCD
that would not properly display text mode.  Quality panel, but poor
electronics.

This is actually a really good Dell LCD matrix:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dell_monitors

- Alex