[geeks] operating systems to replace Solaris

Andrew Jones andrew at jones.ec
Sun Apr 10 16:34:21 CDT 2011

On 04/10/2011 05:05 PM, Dr Robert Pasken wrote:
>  Why replace Solaris? You're going to give up stability and features
>  and get what in return?
>
>  Cheers RWP

Free security updates. I don't think the current patches are free, not
even the "recommended patch clusters." Have you priced out a Solaris
support contract lately?

If I recall correctly, Oracle also expects you to pay for HW support to
get Solaris support on Sun hardware.  10-15% of purchase price on e.g.
a v440 is not a lot of fun, given the present value of the hardware.