[geeks] recipe for Linux / iSCSI / thin provisioned space

Jonathan Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Tue Sep 14 10:47:58 CDT 2010

On Tue, 14 Sep 2010, Jonathan Patschke wrote:

> This avoids the problem of many consumers having gigabytes of disk
> allotted to them that they don't need and cannot be reclaimed (since so
> few filesystems shrink elegantly).

A sidenote: I'd hoped that the new "TRIM" commands targeted towards
flash-based disks would find homes in virtualized environments.  Whether
you have a VM writing to a VMDK or a client writing to an iSCSI target,
it'd be Really Nice to reclaim blocks of storage that refer to data
deleted by the consumer.  This would also let SAN controllers enforce data
"shredding" policies without consuming CPU time on the consumer and
bandwidth in-between.

--
Jonathan Patschke | "There is more to life than increasing its speed."
Elgin, TX         |                                   --Mahatma Gandhi