[geeks] Open Solaris, while I've been asleep.

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Wed Oct 27 23:55:23 CDT 2010

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 06:30:28PM -0500, Jonathan Patschke wrote:

>That would be very shortsighted of them.  A -whole lot- of people run
>Oracle on AIX, Linux, and Windows very happily.  Those people pay silly
>money to Oracle for that "privilege".

I don't think so at all. If they do nothing to IMPROVE the performance of
Oracle under those operating systems, but significantly improve the
performance of Oracle under Solaris by tightly integrating the operating
system with the application people would want to move.

I can only speculate the numbers, but I assume something like 2%-3% would
not make much difference to customers, 5% would show some movement and
10% or more would make a big change.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
To help restaurants, as part of the "stimulus package", everyone must order