[geeks] Open Solaris, while I've been asleep.

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Wed Oct 27 10:31:44 CDT 2010

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 11:16:25AM -0400, Sandwich Maker wrote:
>there's openindiana at least, which aims to carry truly open solaris
>forward.  there may be others.

Well, sort of. According to the wikipedia page, it is currently based
upon Solaris, but will move to something else, Illumos. From my understanding
it's basicly fixed in time as Solaris is concerned, and will move forward
in a similar, but not the same direction.

Since we do know that Oracle plans to enhance Solaris, it's questionable
if what the do will be ported to any other operating system, or if anyone
would want to.

>it's morbidly amusing that oracle pulled the plug on friday the 13th...

I wonder if it was planned that way.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
To help restaurants, as part of the "stimulus package", everyone must order