[geeks] Nerdy scripting help...

Andrew Jones andrew at jones.ec
Fri Oct 15 12:05:43 CDT 2010

On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 11:30:20AM -0400, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> I realize you may already have a suitable answer, but i just wanted to throw
> out Microsoft's Unix Services for Windows - it's a feature on Windows Server
> 2008 (was a for fee product, then a free product, now it is part of the
> OS)...
>

> Just an arrow you might want in your quiver.

You're thinking of the "Subsystem for UNIX Applications," which is the
new name for the old "Services For UNIX."  This product has had too many names:

NT4  => Interix
2003 => SFU
2008 => SUA

In any case, it has been free for many years now.  The change in 2008 is that
it is bundled on the install media, instead of a separate download.

The only thing most people ever use it for is to get the snapin to edit
UNIX attributes in active directory.  *All* AD instances that contain a single
Windows 2008 DC have the schema updates to support RFC2307 attributes, but
the attribs are all marked read-only until at least one server has SUA
installed.  It doesn't have to be configured, just installed.