[geeks] FS: Quad-Proc Opteron workstation (new sunhelp.org server drive!)

Jonathan Groll lists at groll.co.za
Tue Nov 9 00:15:15 CST 2010

On Mon, 8 Nov 2010 08:54:57 -0600,Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 08, 2010 at 08:17:57AM +0200, Jonathan Groll wrote:
> > I would be curious to calculate what the electrical cost savings of
> > the new server will be (on a bit of a green computing kick at the
> > moment). You didn't happen to measure it''s power draw did you?
>
> I've got a Kill-a-Watt; I can always do comparisons.
>
> I know the TDP of the (will-be) quad-core Phenom II X2 555 is only
> 80W, while each Opteron 280 is 95W.

Okay, let's try and work out some ballpark figures.

Not really sure what your actual electricity cost is, but reading
around here [1] we can come up with a conservative cost of $0.12 per
kWh [2].

Assuming the new system draws 200W less, then the total amount saved
per year could come to:
0.2 * 0.12 * 24 * 365 = $210.24

(Feel free to nitpick the calculation!)

Cheers,
Jonathan

[1]
http://www.earth2017.com/2010/05/how-close-in-price-is-renewable-energy-to-fossil-fueled-electricity-closer-than-you-think/

[2] By comparison, in South Africa I pay a domestic rate of ZAR 1.06
(USD 0.15) per KwH; furthermore our electricity costs are scheduled to
increase in the next few years to fund new power station construction.