[geeks] Why we don't use Beta software in production...

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 31 17:49:15 CDT 2010

On Mar 31, 2010, at 5:22 PM, Phil Stracchino <alaric at metrocast.net>
wrote:

> And, to be fair, this *is* beta 1 of Ubuntu 10.04.

Absolutely. I knew this could happen, but I've gotten so used to the
Google definition of 'Beta' that I assumed all would be good. After
all, it made it through two 'Alpha' rounds before it hit 'Beta'...

I've said it before and I'll say it again - Ubuntu needs to invest in
some level of formal software testing, this dispersed model assumes an
infinite number of interested, motivated, and comitted individual
contributors, and I don't think it is sustainable... Interest wanes...

Lionel