[geeks] Fedora question regarding firewalls in general...

Michael C. Vergallen mvergall at telenet.be
Sat Mar 27 08:24:22 CDT 2010

On 03/27/2010 01:23 PM, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> Your ISP is likely ONLY blocking 'normal service' ports, not all ports,
> so I'd run a firewall at the ISP connection interface if I were you.

I do this on my gateway machine (sun Ultra 1) witch also acts as a (DMZ)
for the network. Then I have the 2 server machines (one multimedia
server on a gigabit network e.i 192.168.1.x, one for my data and all the
rest 192.168.0.x with a bridge between both segments) who allows only
local network connections 192.168.x.x.) now in this situation is adding
extra firewall stuff to the 30 odd machines (The collection) & 5
workstation4s around the house needed ? to me those machines (Collection
& workstation's) are not vulnerable to attack or am I wrong ? Also of
those machines I have created images of their disks on the server & on
media so that if something fails I don4t loose the system configurations
and software. The data is kept centrally on the server and the disks are
mirrored on seperate interfaces on the Sun E4500. But because I am a
paranoid shit I also have a seperate NAS who does only do backup4s of
the server4s data.

Michael