[geeks] Fedora question regarding firewalls in general...

Kurt Huhn artisan at k-huhn.com
Sat Mar 27 08:05:23 CDT 2010

On Mar 27, 2010, at 7:45 AM, Michael C. Vergallen wrote:

> I have a nagging question that I would like to find an answer to
> namely I'm on a network from witch the ISP doesnB4t allow allow
> incomming connections to my systems on regular ports. Ok that is
> fine for me now comes the question. Due to the fact that the isp
> does not allow incomming connections to my systems is a firewall on
> the workstations neaded ? I.M.H.O not on the internal workstations
> but I have one on my internal data server. Because the fedora
> workstation has a built in firewall solution can I turn that damn
> thing off or should I keep this running and have to worry about
> extra maintenance on the workstationE e.i. making sure that the
> ports the server relies on to do backups of data, syncing music &
> video to the media-server and streaming files to the media-players
> in the house, etc are open ?

I personally never attach a system of any kind to the Internet without
either placing it behind a firewall or running a host-based firewall
on it.  Most often I used a firewall at the ISP interface as Lionel
said, and use that to protect the internal systems.

--
Kurt Huhn
Renaissance Man, Malcontent, Oversized Ostrogoth