[geeks] Fedora question regarding firewalls in general...

Michael C. Vergallen mvergall at telenet.be
Sat Mar 27 06:45:33 CDT 2010

I have a nagging question that I would like to find an answer to namely
I'm on a network from witch the ISP doesnB4t allow allow incomming
connections to my systems on regular ports. Ok that is fine for me now
comes the question. Due to the fact that the isp does not allow
incomming connections to my systems is a firewall on the workstations
neaded ? I.M.H.O not on the internal workstations but I have one on my
internal data server. Because the fedora workstation has a built in
firewall solution can I turn that damn thing off or should I keep this
running and have to worry about extra maintenance on the workstationE
e.i. making sure that the ports the server relies on to do backups of
data, syncing music & video to the media-server and streaming files to
the media-players in the house, etc are open ?

Michael