[geeks] iPad - NOT a 'Miss' for me I'm afraid

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Mon Mar 22 17:55:41 CDT 2010

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 7:24 AM, Dan Sikorski <me at dansikorski.com> wrote:
> On 3/15/2010 9:39 AM, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>>
>> Honestly, my experience thus far is that "high fidelity earbud" is an
>> oxymoron.
>
> There are some decent ones out there.  I have a pair from Ultimate Ears
that
> I like.  Almost everything less than $100 is just the same $3 components
> dressed up in different plastic, but if you're willing to spend some money
> on it, you can get good earbuds.  That said, regular headphones provide a
> much more enjoyable listening experience for me, but I'm not willing to
> carry a pair of cans around with me everywhere I go, so Ultimate Ears are a
> good compromise for me between portability and sound quality.  There are
> several other brands of good earbuds too, Ultimate Ears is just my example.

You can get decent IEMs for <$100 these days.  They are not going to
be top-of-the-line, but are far, far better than the run of the mill
earbuds and cans.

Head-fi.org has plenty of opinions to avail yourself of; and if you
have a specific requirement (like mono) they can probably offer advice
as well.

=Nadine=