[geeks] Add a Logical printer?

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Thu Jun 10 17:14:01 CDT 2010

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 02:39:59PM -0700, Jon Gilbert wrote:
>On XP how do you add a logical printer from the command line? Thanks,

net use lpt1 \\server\queue (usual options)

It does not have to be lpt1, and the colon is optional as in lpt2: or lpt3.

I think it only works with SMB printers. Note that the Home versions
of Windows accept user names on the command line and ignore them.
Only the Professional versions use them. That's why samba has the
smbusers file.

you could try an IPP printer but I don't think it works, as in:

net use lpt1: http://server:631/printers/printername/.printer or
net use lpt1: ipp://server:631/printers/printername/.printer or

Geoff.

I do multitasking. If that bothers you, file a complaint and I will start
ignoring it immediately.