[geeks] California Proposition 14

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Sat Jun 5 21:33:52 CDT 2010

" From: Phil Stracchino <alaric at metrocast.net>
"
" []
"
" Seriously, having the runner-up be VP would, or at least SHOULD, provide
" an opposing viewpoint - if nothing more - in the Oval Office.  But
" perhaps equally importantly, it would mean that the typically 40% to 48%
" of voters who voted for the guy who came in second would at least not
" feel *totally* disenfranchised, as far too many do now.  Especially if
" the office of the Presidency were to be conducted in a manner that gave
" them a reason to feel they actually had a voice in the Oval Office,
" rather than a glorified cabana boy sent to open shopping malls on behalf
" of the President.

i've been toying with an idea that afaics has only theoretical value.
today we blow our vote only on the candidate we like best, but suppose
we were allowed to rank our choices?  eg. #1-#5 for a 5-candidate
field...  my idea is that if the leading candidates are highly
polarizing, half the voters might rank candidate a #1 and b #2, while
the other half might rank candidate c #1 and b #2.  b should win the
race as the candidate more agreeable to more voters, but in our
present system he'd receive no votes at all.

entrenched powers like things just the way they are, and there are
plenty of other problems in actually implementing such a system - but
does it make any kind of sense?  politicians being the animals they
are, they'd be sure to exploit any way possible to game the system,
whatever it is.