[geeks] California Proposition 14

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Sat Jun 5 16:58:02 CDT 2010

On Sat, Jun 05, 2010 at 05:42:06PM -0400, Lionel Peterson wrote:

>I find it hard to believe fewer choices will lead to better choices...

I don't understand where this comes from. As I read it (the Wikipedia
page, which goes into detail), Prop 14 says that ANYONE can register for
a primary, under any party.

The main election is down to the two top candiates from the primary.

So in the begining IMHO you have a much better chance of getting on the ballot
and getting votes than you do now, and the voters get more choice.

In the previous presidential election Baraq Obama ran on a very
anti-Israel and IMHO a generally crappy foreign policy platform. When it
got close to the convention and after he was nominated, due to
complaints, the anti-Israel advisors were fired and policies were
shifted to be closer to the middle.

After the election the advisors were rehired, and his policies shifted back
to what he had said they would be during the primaries.

I can't say that if he had been eliminated in the primary I would have voted
for the democratic candiate but many people have said to me that if they had
known today what he was planing, they would not have voted for him.

I don't know if that would have affected the election.

Geoff.

New word I coined 12/13/09, "Sub-Wikipedia" adj, describing knowledge or
understanding, as in he has a sub-wikipedia understanding of the situation.
i.e possessing less facts or information than can be found in the Wikipedia.