[geeks] California Proposition 14

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Sat Jun 5 14:16:49 CDT 2010

On Sat, Jun 05, 2010 at 03:02:30PM -0400, Phil Stracchino wrote:

>Yeah, that's about how it looks to me.  The most likely result of this
>would be to /de facto/ lock third parties and independents out of
>politics in California, *period*.  Never mind failing to get elected,
>they wouldn't even be able to get on the ballot.

On the positive side it will prevent a candiate who has no chance of getting
elected from drawing away votes from the other candidates.

The result of that has been that many people complianed that they did not
vote for the elected official, whom they did not want. IMHO, voting for
a canditate that had no chance of getting elected was a vote down the toilet.

Personally, I liked the original US presidential election. The winner became
president, the first runner up became vice president.

BTW, did you know the number one write-in candidate for mayor in the last
New York City elections was C. Montgomery Burns?

Geoff.

New word I coined 12/13/09, "Sub-Wikipedia" adj, describing knowledge or
understanding, as in he has a sub-wikipedia understanding of the situation.
i.e possessing less facts or information than can be found in the Wikipedia.