[geeks] hiding DNS information

der Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Tue Jun 1 21:37:41 CDT 2010

> If you really mean WHOIS records ...

> I've had my name, address, etc. in the whois for my domain since, I
> dunno, 1996 or something, and never had a problem of any sort.

Same here.  Every domain I've "owned" has had accurate WHOIS info
(well, in the case of rodents.montreal.qc.ca, until CIRA decided to
break it for me and require me to use a single specific protocol I
neither have nor want support for to un-break it, which is why I use a
different domain now).  Can't remember the last time I got anything
apparently aimed at any of those contact channels.

But see below.

> Of what potential problem am I ignorant?

If you're a kook/harassement magnet (for whatever reason - because
you're a Big Name of some sort or because you managed to get some
creepozoid fixated on you or whatever), it can be a Bad Thing to have
that info generally available.  For example, I know of a woman who
works with "disturbed" (= serious psychosocial maladjustment) people
and as a result her publicized mailing address is a drop-box, not her
actual residence address.

But that's the right response.  As long as the contact info works, it's
nobody's business whether it's some kind of forwarding service or not.
Indeed, arguably _all_ contact info is just forwarding services of
various kinds and various levels of remoteness.  The real beef I have
with whois blinding is that it generally - invariably, in my (limited)
experience - results in contact info that _doesn't_ work.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org