[geeks] iPad - NOT a 'Miss' for me I'm afraid

hike mh1272 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 06:14:57 CST 2010

On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 12:05 AM, <gsm at mendelson.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 09:00:08PM -0800, Rick Hamell wrote:
>
>> As an amateur historian who likes to visit sites and take pictures of
>> them, I think it'll be a wonder for me. Being able to have access to my
>> .pdf'ed history books and articles while out in the field would be huge.
>> The only thing that would make it better for my projected use would be a
>> built in GPS and USB port to download photos too.
>>

> Doesn't a nook do the same thing for 1/2 the price? Is the mono screen that
> mutch of a limitation?
> Geoff.
>
> --
> Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm at mendelson.com  N3OWJ/4X1GM
> New word I coined 12/13/09, "Sub-Wikipedia" adj, describing knowledge or
> understanding, as in he has a sub-wikipedia understanding of the situation.
> i.e possessing less facts or information than can be found in the Wikipedia.

The Nook is black-and-white with all the issues of e-ink.
The Nook is a one-trick-pony.
The Nook has a 3.5" screen

The iPad is color.
The iPad has Safari, iWork programs, iTunes, etc., and a larger storage
space.
The iPhone/iPod Touch apps are reported to work on the iPad.  Apps such as
Kindle Reader, Weather Bug, Starbucks finder (a personal favorite), Weather
Bug, etc., etc.
The iPad has a 9.7" screen.

The size of the screen means that more of the page can be shown on one
screen.  This means less page turning and, for me, an easier browse of the
text when coming back to the text after a distraction.

The color screen and extended capabilities make the iPad well worth the $240
difference in the Nook's and the iPad's 16GB model.

Dilbert and technical manuals--a winning combination!