[geeks] iPad - a 'Miss' for me I'm afraid

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Fri Jan 29 10:55:20 CST 2010

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 04:18:22PM +0000, Mark Benson wrote:

> Of course, and it'd probably have been as good, but I refer you back to
> my suspicions (and that's all they are tbh) that Intel don't allow
> closed systems. It may not be the case, it may just be that Intel = EFI =
> easy to 'customise'. I'm only going off what AppleTV is sd as (a TV
> appliance) and what it is in reality (a low spec underclocked Dothan PC).

I have no reason to believe that Intel doesn't accept using their
products in closed systems.  I don' think that anyone is buying new low
voltage Pentium MMXs or Core Duos (not C2D, but the earlier one) for
open systems.  In fact, on their embedded web site, Intel pushes Atoms
for closed embedded systems.