[geeks] iPad - a 'Miss' for me I'm afraid

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 05:26:49 CST 2010

On 29 Jan 2010, at 10:44, hike <mh1272 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Mac OS X "supports" certain chipsets because these same chipsets are
> used in
> Mac computers.
>
> For example, the Dell Mini 9 uses the same Intel chipset as the
> MacBook
> (with the Intel graphics).  The Dell Mini 10v uses the same Intel
> chipset as the Mini 9 and, therefore, runs OS X.

Regardless of the acompanying chipsets Apple have recently added then
removed the CPU support for Atom from the OS X kernel. I'd guess they
just flagged Atom CPU IDs as not supported ten undid it - the reasons
were far from clear unless it was an attempt to remove support for
none-Apple Netbooks that they backtracked on due to bad press? I dunno.

The fact remains they have decided to leave Atom support in OS X so
it's gotta be there for a reason.

--
Mark Benson

http://markbenson.org/blog