[geeks] aak! Tadpole 3GX parts/manual?

der Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Mon Jan 25 12:29:14 CST 2010

I have a Tadpole SPARCbook 3GX.  Just today, I went to close the lid
and, with an unpleasant cracking sound, the right hinge broke.  It's a
fairly serious break, a metal fracture right at the corner between the
curved and flat part of the hinge.  The wire to the display panel
appears undamaged, though I haven't tried turning it on since.  I took
two pictures of the damage; they are on ftp.rodents-montreal.org at
/mouse/misc/3GX/broken-hinge.1.jpg and .2.jpg.  .1.jpg is,
unfortunately, rather out of focus; I was crowding the camera's
depth-of-field a bit more than I should have when I took it, but it
should be clear enough, especially in the presence of .2.jpg (which is
a little too close, but not so much so as picture 1).

So, I'm looking for two things: (1) a replacement for that metal part
and (2) a manual that documents the thing mechanically enough for me to
take it apart and perform the replacement.  Or, I suppose, another 3GX,
but it seems unlikely there are any just sitting around looking for
homes. :-/

I found various things saying that Tadpole had the manuals up on
ftp.tadpole.com (including someone from Tadpole back in 1999), but the
directory given is no longer correct, and their current FTP area
doesn't hvae anything that says "I'm the 3GX document!" to me.

Any pointers?

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org