[geeks] Maildir with postfix

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Fri Jan 22 11:33:27 CST 2010

On 01/22/10 09:22, Jeff Cole wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 12:45:10PM -0500, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>> I have an interest in this question too, as I'm looking to migrate over
>> from mbox to Maildir (with Postfix and mutt) on this machine.  I've
>> tried mailbox conversion scripts in the past, but they always ended up
>> leaving me with a bunch of invisible mailfolders.
>
> You want mb2md http://batleth.sapienti-sat.org/projects/mb2md

Yup, that's what I used.

> For some strange reason, I occasionally get stuff delivered to /var/spool/mail/jeff despite the fact that I have procmail delivering to $MAILDIR.

That's peculiar....
I took a precaution before converting anything, like so:

babylon5:alaric:~:1 $ ls -l /var/spool/mail
total 4080
-rw------- 1 alaric mail 2015349 Jan 21 15:56 alaric
-rw------- 1 alaric mail 2015349 Jan 21 15:56 alaric.saved
-rw-r----- 1 root   root   62119 Jan 21 09:49 root
-rw-r----- 1 root   root   62119 Jan 21 09:49 root.saved

so I figure I can just keep them around for a month or so and
periodically glance in there and compare against the saved versions, to
see if anything's still delivering to mbox.  But I can't imagine what
would be, on a new clean installation.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.