[geeks] backup architecture

der Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Thu Jan 21 20:46:03 CST 2010

>> Hmm.  Is there any particular reason you have to do all the fulls at
>> the same time?
> Not really, but the way it works out, 80% to 90% of the full backup
> set is the main server (babylon4), so spreading out the full backups
> wouldn't really gain me anything.

Depends on how the space is spread out.  Does babylon4 have one big
filesystems, or is its space more spread-out?  Even if you don't speed
individual dumps up any, I'm thinking that two or three tape changes
four hours apart twice or thrice a month might be significantly better
than five or six once a month: two 8- or 12-hour days is often much
better than one 16- or 20-hour day.

Or is Bacula incapable of doing different levels in a given run for
different filesystems on the same host?  Surely not....

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org