[geeks] geeks Digest, Vol 86, Issue 11

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 18:20:42 CST 2010

On Jan 21, 2010, at 5:37 PM, Mike Meredith <very at zonky.org> wrote:

> of the world would call
>   "private schools") were historically funded by both endowments
>   (quite often tithe or land endowments ... Winchester College is
>   still a very substantial land owner) and tuition fees by those able
>   to pay.

Isn't land ownership a bit 'wonky' by US standards? In the US you buy
a house and you own it outright, once all liens are satisfied, while
in England actual outright ownership of land is a bit rarer, most
properties being sold for   what amounts to a 99 year lease without a
buyout option at end of lease? I'm sure I've gotten it wrong, but
there is a difference, right?

Lionel