[geeks] Maildir with postfix

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Thu Jan 21 15:48:30 CST 2010

On 01/21/10 12:35, Joshua Boyd wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 05:32:58PM +0000, Mark Benson wrote:
>> I have set up and got working postfix and Dovecot for internal-only mail
>> work. I want to use Maildir because the message workload will exceed the
>> capacity of mbox mailboxes (65535 messages iirc). I know what you are
>> about to say about managing e-mail but the situation is what it is.
>>
>> Anyhoo, dovecot is latching onto my user ~/Maildir folders just fine,
>> but postfix is not delivering mail there. I added 'home_mailbox =
>> Maildir/' in /etc/postfix/main.cnf which is all that postfix is supposed
>> to require. Am I missing something? I'm fairly new to mail serving, so I
>> may have missed something. Ubuntu Docs are great but a bit basic.
>
> The last time I set it up, Postfix's LDA didn't do maildir and I had to
> use an external LDA.

Having just done the conversion myself with Postfix and mutt, I can
confirm that Postfix's LDA handles Maildir perfectly transparently.  The
entire conversion took me maybe fifteen minutes, and literally half of
that was finding the right places in my .muttrc files and applying the
half-dozen required changes.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.