[geeks] Maildir with postfix

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 12:52:03 CST 2010

On 21 Jan 2010, at 18:41, der Mouse wrote:

>> exceed the capacity of mbox mailboxes (65535 messages iirc).
>
> There's a limit?
>
> Given how mbox mailboxes work (a magic delimiter sequence), I can't see
> why there would be any limit other than available storage.

Well if mbox has no limit it might have been OS imposed file size limit. I
know we hit a limit problem on one of our mailboxes that had gone oversize and
wouldn't allow us access. I'm relying on what our host told us.

Also if you corrupt a mbox mailbox so it's not readable you lose the lot (as
we found out to our cost), whereas a Maildir structure is per-file so
corruption isolated to individual messages.

Maildir really doesn't have many limits other than the available storage and
the filesystem limits it's installed on. It does breed a lot of small file,
but that was something I was willing to fly with.

--
Mark Benson

My Blog:
<http://markbenson.org/blog>