[geeks] geeks Digest, Vol 86, Issue 11

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Thu Jan 21 09:36:38 CST 2010

" From: Rick Hamell <hamellr at gmail.com>
"
" Phil Stracchino wrote:
" > But why on earth does a research chemist, a tank
" > driver, or an oilwell engineer need to be able to write an essay on the
" > similarities and differences between salsa and flamenco, or the
" > influence of the Spanish civil war on the work of Pablo Picasso?

my aunt [an ex-teacher] used to say you can't make people learn, you
can only make them -want- to...

there's little point in forcing folks to take courses [outside core
competency] they care nothing about, but there's nothing wrong and a
lot right in making them try things they don't think they'll like.

" Teach critical thinking
"
" Teach writing skills and research
"
" Teach to think outside of their specific interest
"
" Teach to see non-obvious correlations between unrelated topics that may
" be relevant to their interests.
"
" Give them a way to explore interests that may develop into a hobby or a job.
"
" Provide an alternate avenue if the primary degree doesn't work
"
" Just off the top of my head.

excellent ideas.  but, <devil's advocate> i wonder - idly - what
fraction of our student population is capable of learning these
things, even with a good teaching envrionment?